Wednesday 21 May 2014

Merrilyn Akpapuna at the Dillard University, New Orleans, United States made us proud !!!!


Despite the crisis in Nigeria which made foreigners panic to visit Nigeria and tagged Nigeria as a no go area at the season still Merrilyn Akpapuna at the Dillard University, New Orleans, United States made us proud.That is to say good things can still come in Nigeria.

All eyes were on 20-year-old Nigerian, Merrilyn Akpapuna, who emerged the best graduate at the Dillard University, New Orleans, United States.The United States First Lady Michelle Obama joins other dignitaries to celebrate Merrilyn Akpapuna success.




The Psychology graduate, who was born in Delta State, not only obtained the highest academic honour Summa Cum Laude (first class), she also emerged the best graduating student in the ivory tower and made A’s in all her courses amassing a cumulative grade point average of 4.0/4.0.

In her reaction, Ms. Akpapuna gave an insight of how the journey was for her. She said, “When I first got to Dillard, I had to learn the differences in the spelling of certain words and adjust to a new metric system. I also faced some difficulties due to the difference in the education system. In Nigeria, the teaching system follows the British pattern, which is different from the system in the United States.

“Men did not disturb me on campus and no lecturer ever asked me for sexual favours. Again, let me tell you, the factors that brought about my success would have remained the same even in Nigeria. So, I believe I would have excelled in the same way if I had stayed in Nigeria,” she added.
Nigerian graduates of dillard university

Interestingly, three other Nigerians that made us proud are Victor Ogburie, Stephen Igwe, and Emole Anyadimgba who all made first class in their chosen disciplines joined Akpapuna in the league of the best graduating students at the university.

No comments:

Post a Comment